When you decide to get into volunteering, you never know who you will meet. Sometimes, it is not who you know that really matters but who knows you. Volunteering helps brand you if you associate yourself with a specific organization or charity. Most successful people can be found giving back at a charity event or dinner.
So why else should you be volunteering?
How else can volunteering benefit you?
- You may find new skills that you might not have known you had or you could upgrade your skills
- It is a great way to build your resume-this is a great way to stand out from the crowd
- This is a great way to test drive a new career if you are unsure of what way to take your business or which niche/field you may want to go into
- This is the perfect way to gain experience. Most companies like to promote within the company itself or look for those who have the type of experience they need.
- Volunteering helps you develop a greater sense of SELF
- Volunteering helps you feel more confident, and when people see that, they are attracted to you
- Volunteering is also a good way to find out about different cultures and how other people may live and work
- Volunteering is one of the best ways to find out what your PASSION is
- And as mentioned before, it is a perfect way to brand yourself.
Too many people in this day and age have to get up every Monday morning and go into a job that they absolutely dread just because they must pay their bills. By volunteering in different environments, you can learn where you love to be and what you truly enjoy doing. You can then go on to start your own business, freelance, or look for work in a company who is in that field. When you are happier, success is easier. When you are happier, relationships with others like your spouse is also easier and more enjoyable.
So, how can you get involved in volunteer work?
There are organizations like Toastmaster who can help you learn skills like public speaking and who help other clubs and associations get set up and running. You can contact the government or just go to the head office or human resources department of any company you would like to be involved with an ask if they have a volunteer program and how you can get involved. Some places will require you fill out a bunch of paper work, be checked for a criminal record and perhaps even a credit check, while others will merely just ask you to fill in a short form that has your personal information and take you on right away.
I hope this information gave you some food for thought about why it would be great to start volunteering places. I myself volunteer at my boys school. I go on class trips, help out for any bake sales or fundraising events, and do what I can to make a difference. One of the enjoyable benefits of being able to make my own schedule is the ability to work around the things that matter. My family matters and their future and education are of utmost importance to me.
What do you like to do? Have you tried volunteering anywhere yet? If so, I would love to hear it below in a comment!
All the best!
P.S. Not sure you should worry about branding if you don’t own a company and are just a freelancer or solo entrepreneur? Personal branding is just as important and not as daunting as you might think. You should give it a try. You just might be impressed about how much your business and income can grow.